Re: ARM build fails in libgloss: no redboot.ld

Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
Okay. I see it -- libgloss couldn't figure out that this was an elf
target. I updated the appropriate part of the libgloss/arm configure.in
and things are now building.

I remain a bit confused about the theory of operation for libgloss. It
appears to me that libgloss is intended to provide "bare" board support.
This raises two (naive, apologies) questions:

1. When an OS is present, should libgloss be disabled? How?

Usually, when dealing with an OS, libgloss is not required as the libc/sys directory or an external library provides the syscalls. This is mostly due to the fact that an OS has a much more robust set of syscalls than vanilla newlib requires and libgloss generally supplies.

To disable libgloss, add target-libgloss to noconfigdirs for your target in the top-level configure.in.

  2. Given that an OS is not present, I would still expect libgloss
     to be board specific, but it does not appear to have a BSP
     hierarchy.

Not sure what you mean here by hierarchy. If there are multiple bsps to choose from, then either the user must make the choice at compile/link time via either a spec file or ld script or the platform sets up a special target compile option and multilibs the libgloss library.

While I'm thinking about it, how should own specify a configure "triple"
when one intends to specify a specific target BSP to be built? For
example, assuming I have made the appropriate configure file changes, if
what I want is

	OS = coyotos
	ARCH = arm
	VENDOR = erosgroup
	BSP = coolboard

how should this be expressed in the --target argument to configure?

BSPs are not part of the target specification. Either:

CPU_TYPE-MANUFACTURER-OPERATING_SYSTEM or
CPU_TYPE-MANUFACTURER-KERNEL-OPERATING_SYSTEM

-- Jeff J.

shap