%zd support for printf in newlib

Is there any plan to make the printf family of functions in newlib support
the z size modifier so that variables of type size_t can be printed?

glibc supports this so I have no problems on Linux x86 and x86_64 platforms
but with cygwin which I ass it just prints "zd".

Is there a simple workaround for this?

It doesn't look that hard to change the vfprintf.c module but there may be
something subtle.
Is it worth trying to do this?

Thanks

Eric