Steps for porting Newlib to a new Target processor without any OS

Hello Everyone,
   we have a new 16-bit processor for which GCC 3.2 is ported as a
cross compiler. Now, I want to port Newlib also, as the default C
library for gcc. I tried following the steps described in the newlib
site (http://sources.redhat.com/newlib) for porting newlib to a new
processor, but I feel that those steps are insufficient. The following
are the questions I have. I'd be glad if anyone can take time to answer
them. I tried searching the archieves, but couldnt get all the answers.

1. Our processor does'nt yet have an OS, so no system calls are available.
2. Our processor does not support IEEE floating point numbers (and their
arithmetic ofcourse), but supports real numbers in Q.15 format. So, can
I modify the floating point functions to deal with Q.15 numbers?
3. I want to port only the non-OS dependent part of the library (and
preferably math library using Q.15 format for real numbers). Is this
possible?
4. I also want some standard functions like printf use specific hardware
(like serial port) for I/O. Where and how do I change this?
5. Last but not the least, I tried adding my processor name to
configure.host in newlib1.13.0/newlib/ directory, but it is not
recognizing my processor.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Warm regards,
Sriharsha Vedurmudi.