Re: Some basic questions from a novice !

Frank, please read the short FAQ (no. 5) on the newlib website: http://sources.redhat.com/newlib to understand how multilib functionality works in conjunction with gcc to automatically select the right target libraries for an application based on the compile options (if you haven't already).

In the case where there is a processor/option combination not being handled by gcc multilibs, you should look into adding them to gcc. You need to talk to the folks on the gcc list about how best to do this.

-- Jeff J.

Frank Juergen-r58616 wrote:
Yep, I know this works but I think this work only in case your selected core and the default core are similar. I use a 3.4 version of gcc and a this version compiled the libraries for the following version

mycross-gcc --print-multi-libs

.;
mpc7400;@mcpu=7400
nof;@msoft-float
le;@mlittle
no-spe/no-abi-spe/no-isel;@mspe=no@mabi=no-spe@misel=no
no-spe/no-abi-spe/no-isel/le;@mspe=no@mabi=no-spe@misel=no@mlittle
nof/le;@msoft-float@mlittle
mpc7400/nof;@mcpu=7400@msoft-float
mpc7400/le;@mcpu=7400@mlittle
mpc7400/nof/le;@mcpu=7400@msoft-float@mlittle
mpc7400/altivec/abi-altivec;@mcpu=7400@maltivec@mabi=altivec
mpc7400/altivec/abi-altivec/le;@mcpu=7400@maltivec@mabi=altivec@mlittle

So if you use this with setup with the 603 it works, but if you try to use a core with a subset of instruction set from the normal PPC, you can't use this setup.

I dig in the internet and in the gcc directories and I think the key is the multilib functionality.

Juergen