Re: Q: should it work?

I've cut out some of the pieces, and answered/followed up on others.

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 17:11 -0700, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> > I must admit I didn't look good enough at the voxware site to figure out
> > that the tar files are still there, even though the install directory
> > pointed to by the gnuwince.html page is missing.
>
> http://win-ce.voxware.com:28575/Development%20Tools/gnuwince.html

On line 8 of this document (in my browser, not the source), the link to
the "current release" is broken.

> An X11 app! Very ambitious. Which X server will you use? I'd think a
> GTK+DirectFB application would be easier.

Actually I'm stripping out the X and building a WinCE GUI on it, so I'm
re-using the application logic.

> The ABI may be the standard ARM ABI:
>
> 	http://www.arm.com/products/DevTools/ABI.html

Thanks, I'll start reading that and the source while I do experiments.

> > - Explanation about the limitations I'm experiencing. I realise that
> >   the answer I may get is "we don't know".
>
> I suppose this depends on what limitations you have encountered.

I'll try to summarize here :
- Recompiled Shaun's stuff (Mandriva is RPM based, not DEB)
- I've been able to create and run GUI apps, but I had to work around
  having WinMain() and no main() by still having an empty main()
  function but telling the compiler to use _WinMain as the entry point
  of the executable (gcc -e_WinMain)
  I'd like to replace this by something more sensible.
- Also the current approach will only work for C, not C++.
- Had to remove the rename.o from the newlib libc.a because it clashed
  with unistd.o, the both define the _rename symbol.
- I built include files based on the ones I found on my system from
  wine. I've really taken over most of the wine files except where I
  got in trouble using them, and edited them somewhat.
  An example is that the TabCtrl_XX() macros all map to SendMessageA()
  which is wrong for CE, it should use SendMessageW().
- I used Shauns SDK and extended it to generate libaygshell.a,
  libcomctrl.a and libfileopen.a on a 'need to have' basis.
  I'm not sure what I'm doing here but some things appear to work.

Limitations I see :
- I don't have a solution for icons/images in the build process yet.
- A simplistic drawing example compiled with eVC4 creates a 5K exe
  file, my toolchain creates an exe of about 186K.
- Can't get dialog creation functions to work.
  Erics mail makes me wonder whether this is another include file
  issue.
- Tabs respond in strange ways, but maybe I need to use eVC4 on my
  sources to check whether the problem is in my sources or in the
  tools.
- I don't have a debugger
- Tools based on new GCC/binutils/newlib create apps that crash my PDA.
  Here I'd have to start by figuring out which of the three tools is
  the reason.
- The apps I create do run, but they appear to create a non-standard
  toolbar. Not sure what's causing this.

> Eat more rice pudding. It's tasty.

Hmm, I baked an almond cake a couple of days ago, there's still some :-)

	Danny
--
Danny Backx ; danny.backx - at - scarlet.be ; http://danny.backx.info