Re: Q: should it work?

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 07:18 +0000, eehouse wrote:
> > Eric House is also using the pocketpc-gcc toolchain to build Win32 API
> > code. On this topic, he would be the person with whom to speak.
>
> Happy to help if I can.
>
> As Shaun says, I've been focussed on moving an app that was originally
> developed with "Embedded Visual Studio" to the Debian pocketpc tools
> that Shaun maintains.  I'm working with an app that's written using the
> standard win32 APIs, rather than porting posix code to Wince, say.

That's very close to what I'm doing.

> > > - To do that, I've implemented some workarounds that I'd like to get rid
> > >   of. Also maybe some of the limitations can be lifted by further work.
> >
> > To use the GUI API, you've probably attacked the same problems as
> > Eric. Get in touch with him.
>
> There have been two classes of problems, IIRC.
>
> First, the pocketpc tools rely on headers supplied by the MinGW
> project which is entirely focussed on desktop win32 systems.
> Microsoft supplies different headers for the two platforms for good
> reason: sometimes the APIs and structures are subtly different.  For
> example, some functions that are exported by .dlls on the desktop are
> inline macros on pocketpc.  And some structs, though they have the
> same name, are defined differently, perhaps with fields removed that
> don't make sense on a handheld.

As I wrote in the other message, this may be why I can't create dialogs.

> The second class of problem is that the official tools cooperate with
> the OS in undocumented or unexpected ways.  For example, an app built
> with evc 3 will always be run in "emulated" mode on a PPC 2003 device.
> That's generally not what you want (if you're using menus, anyway), so
> you want to appear to have been built with more recent tools.  The way
> the OS determines what toolset built the app is by the major and minor
> version flags in the .pe file header (in the .exe).  The only way to
> figure out what the flags should be is to examine an app or .dll that
> works and set yours the same.

Interesting, I'll have a look.

Do you have a clue on why I'm seeing two sets of window bars (one at the
top, one at the bottom) ?

	Danny

--
Danny Backx ; danny.backx - at - scarlet.be ; http://danny.backx.info