Re: newlib vs C99 math functions

Jeff Johnston wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 03:49:01PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 02:35:44PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
Andrew Pinski wrote:
While porting some code over to use newlib from a closed source libc,
I ran into the problem of that newlib did not implement most of the
C99 math functions or macros. I ran into the problem that FP_ILOGB0
was not defined and I was wondering if anyone is working on adding any
of the C99 math functions to newlib?

Also is there a bug system for newlib because it would be great to
file bugs about the problems I ran into.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski

Well, newlib's printf() does not support "%a"/"%A" which are required by C99, so my observation of the C99 support at least is "spotty at best".

Meanwhile, I'll wait anxiously to see you get any more attention from the 'official' folks than I've gotten so far.

I apologize for getting used to the promptness of Cygwin's list. This one *does* seems dead by comparison.

Now that we know you're here, do you know if anyone is working on adding C99-conformance to newlib? ;-)

I don't think that newlib has a roadmap. Any changes would come from either contributions or talking very nicely to Jeff. Since newlib isn't Jeff's full-time job, I would imagine that adding major new functionality won't be high on his to-do list.

This seems as good a place to jump in as any now that I am back from my vacation.

Ah, that explains why only Dave and CGF answered me... WB! Have a good time? :-)

2. There is no roadmap in place to be fully C99
   or POSIX-compliant.  Newlib is still targetted at
   embedded systems with a minimal set of syscalls.  That
   said, I have no problem with adding C99 and POSIX features
   to newlib that are helpful in getting more applications to run.
   I recently added hex floating-point support to strtod for
   example.

"Hex floating point support"... would that be the inverse of "%a"/"%A"? ;-)

In the mean time, would you be receptive if someone (me) took on overhauling the existing documentation system? (See the thread I FW'd here from cygwin-talk, "Re: What's wrong with *roff, anyway?".

I'll omit further comment as I seem to have commandeered this thread from its original purpose. :-) Further discussion to one of the threads I started, please!

--
Matthew
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad... You must be, or you wouldn't have come here." -- The Cheshire Cat