Re: Updating top-level autoconf to 2.59

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> > Someone needs to decide which part of this to fix.  We can either fix
> > make install in the gcc subdirectory to not do the bogus extra copy,
> > or we can try to adjust things to install unprefixed in that case.
> >
> > I prefer the former, i.e. install only i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc.  This
> > is a change, but it's also in line with autoconf's choices, and it's
> > always much simpler to go along with autoconf than to fight it.
>
> I'd prefer not changing what is installed, but if people agree to go the other
> way round I've no problem with that.

Likewise - if building compilers for the same target and multiple hosts it
seems at least nonintuitive that --target must be specified for most hosts
but must not be specified for the one host that's the same as the target.
And will target default to host in that case (if you specify host but not
target) for 2.13?

The gcc/ directory configures as a cross compiler based on direct textual
comparison of host and target, without regard to what was specified
explicitly.  (One side-effect of this being the $target-$target-gcc
getting installed.)  DejaGnu has hardcoded that programs are installed
with no $target- prefix if the host and target are the same, with no
concept of the possibility that $target prefixes might be needed in some
cases but not others ("transform" in runtest.exp).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com