Re: Patch to update libtool in GCC and Src trees

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
I would expect relatively frequent (once per month?) but absolutely non-disruptive imports until the next libtool release; then, we should track the corresponding stable releases.

Well, then you're already two updates behind. <g> Steve's current patch is based on libtool from 20070318. I'm not suggesting that Steve update his patch right now; that would be foolish since doing so would negate all the recent testing.

[snip]

My only request to the libtool team, is to keep it working with 2.59 for a while and not require 2.61, because that will be another relatively complex update for gcc/src (though not as much as from 2.13 to 2.59).

As far as I am aware, libtool-2.0 (or libtool-2.2, if we skip the '.0' version for internal reasons) is slated to work with ac-2.59. One of my recent changes that accidentally pulled in a 2.60 macro (AS_CASE) had to be rewritten for that reason.

Please complain if this is the case, but I hope that the libtool guys also don't do any disruptive changes for well-supported targets (i686-linux) when the first stable release in years is in sight...

The libtool maintainers are getting more and more allergic (finally) to disruptive changes. And just last week we cleared the last remaining release blocker explicitly listed in TODO. There may be others, and we've still got a lot of regression testing to do, but...

So far, we have only one bugfix in 2.60+ that needs to be worked around because we use 2.59, and I'm confident very few (if any) will be needed.

Right, but every change in <toplevlel>/m4/ now ripples throughout every project in both the src and gcc trees -- so keeping that number low is imperative, to avoid annoying the project-level maintainers like Jeff.

--
Chuck