Re: Patch to update libtool in GCC and Src trees

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
or really, truly, always using libtool?

This one.

(1) That's a fairly major change

(2) Even if libtool supports building shared libraries on platform X, newlib's support for shared is deliberately limited to just i*86-linux. Unless you want to change /that/ too, you'll need to implement some mechanism of completely *disabling* --enable-shared for all but i*86-linux, while still defaulting to --enable-shared --enable-static on linux.

(3) What does Jeff J. think about this?

IMO, it's better to go gradual -- right now, do the minimum[*] newlib mods necessary so that the top-level changes can go in -- and let the folks whose primary concern is newlib decide when/if to make major changes in their build process.

[*] or as close to minimal as makes sense

To me, this "minimal" solution is:

(1) make the Makefile.am changes I detailed (all 75 or only 15)
(2) modify the 15 configure.in's with
    (a) _LT_DECL_SED outside the existing 'if' -- /if/ that works
    (b) or unconditionally call LT_INIT like I did, but also add
        AC_NO_EXECUTABLES
(3) re-aclocal, re-automake, re-autoconf yadda yadda

But note that both 2a and 2b retain the existing USE_LIBTOOL automake conditional, and its use by all newlib Makefile.am's to only invoke libtool when USE_LIBTOOL is true.

Again, I'll actually test these ideas later tonight.

--
Chuck