Re: Reliability of newlib

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 04:22:09PM +0200, Petkovic - Ilic, M. wrote:
> I have to determine the reliability of newlib based on the experience of
> its users.
> So has anyone found bugs or other problems in newlib and if so how
> severe were they.
>
> I would be very grateful if you would provide me with such an
> information.

we have been shipping a product with newlib 1.12.0 for almost four
years, and have run into the following:

1) a version of snprintf previous to 1.12.0 printed size count
   characters instead of size-1, leading to shortened/missing strings
   when this was fixed.

2) there is still a memory leak somewhere in _vfprintf_r and points down
   dealing with floating point string rendering where _Balloc is being
   called, but is not properly being freed when libc is shut down via
   _reclaim_reent.  the easy workaround has been to avoid doing floating
   point printfs in transient threads.

neither of these were showstoppers for my application.

--
  Aaron J. Grier  |   Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |  aaron@frye.com