configure errors

I'm having trouble adding support for a new platform to newlib.
Configuration fails with:

Checking multilib configuration for newlib...
Configuring in risc-elf/newlib
configure: warning: target_alias=risc-elf: invalid host type
/cygdrive/c/home/risc/src/newlib-1.14.0/newlib/configure: line 844:
test: risc-elf: unary operator expected
checking for Cygwin environment... no
checking for mingw32 environment... no
configure: error: can only configure for one host and one target at a time
make[1]: *** [configure-target-newlib] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/home/risc/build/newlib'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have added entries in config.sub, configure.in,
libgloss/configure.in and more, but I can't seem to regenerate
libgloss/configure. Doing autoconf in the libgloss dir fails, and
doing it in the main dir does not affect libgloss.

I am probably missing something obvious, but please, enlighten me! I'm stuck!

Is the entry in the newlib FAQ about porting newlib up-to-date (i.e. I
don't have to modify any other configuration files than those listed
there)? What is the correct way of regenerating the configure files,
both in the main dir and in libgloss, newlib &co?