gnulib workaround for missing wchar.h on FreeBSD 4.2?

I'm trying to build a GNU toolchain on FreeBSD 4.2. Unfortunately this machine has no <wchar.h>, which causes failures for anything trying to use this header, which usually show up in gnulib's replacement module (e.g. coreutils and m4 die when trying to '#include ""'). Is there already a gnulib patch for this that I didn't find googling, or...?

(Note: I also see that this exact error is already fixed in newer gnulib, but mbchar.h subsequently fails due to wint_t being undefined.)

--
Matthew
"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!" -- Monty Python