Re: getopt reinvocation/reentrancy

Resending as I hit the text/html button accidentally and sourceware bounced it. Also I have changed the content slightly.

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 19:21 -0500, Gregory Pietsch wrote:
I believe that I caught the problem. In your test program, the -a and -b switches weren't defined in your list of short options, so getopt was returning a question mark. Fixing the testing program and applying the latest Bug-Free(tm) getopt should work. -- Gregory

I think, some defines, you added to getopt.h with your most recent patch should be removed. In particular:

/* macros defined by this include file */
#define NO_ARG                  0
#define REQUIRED_ARG            1
#define OPTIONAL_ARG            2
  /* The GETOPT_DATA_INITIALIZER macro is used to initialize a
statically-
     allocated variable of type struct getopt_data.  */
#define GETOPT_DATA_INITIALIZER {0,0,0,0,0}

Rationale:

- The *_ARG macros are not name-space safe and likely to clash with
other macros. If they really should be kept, then they should be
prefixed with __GETOPT_.

- All of these macros are not standardized anywhere nor am I aware about
any system providing them. I vote for removing them.

To be fair, the header file itself is non-standard; it is a glibc extension and any application that includes it will expect at least some non-clean macros since the glibc version of <getopt.h> declares struct option, includes 3 macros: no_argument, required_argument, optional_argument that are unprotected and adds the functions getopt_long and getopt_long_only. The sys/linux version of getopt.h defines the 3 glibc macros for compatibility and so should the libc/include version. I'd be happy with only having the glibc names. We could also optionally add a single underscore to the initializer macro and two underscores to the special struct added for reentrancy to make us essentially namespace-clean-equivalent to the glibc version. Joel, as one of probably few getopt.h/getopt users, what do you think of removing the old argument macros?

I have just added the glibc macros to getopt.h.