Re: Configuring for bare hw ia32 PC's

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 12:25 -0400, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:

> > Ok. Will this also build the file functions? I've tried before, a while
> > back, but I think I used i386-elf and it didn't provide this as the Ada
> > runtime was wanting dirent.h, IIRC.
>
> It will not. Coyotos doesn't have a file system at the libc level.
> Eventually, when we specify the IDL for a stream interface, the
> low-level versions of those functions (read, write, and friends) will
> end up in libcoyotos.a. For our purposes, we want those to be built
> completely independent of newlib.

Well, no, neither will TAMP, but unfortunately to get the runtime to
build, it must think there is. There is no way to say to GNAT, compile
me the basic bits of the runtime I want :( Well, not that I know of so
far :D

> Just FYI, we subsequently abandoned the GRUB module model to load the
> application-level system image. On deeply embedded platforms, there

Well for now, it'll do me fine :)

> > I think this is the way I need to go...
>
> Just FYI, this took some thuggery on the gcc link line handling, and at
> this point you'll want to set up your own configuration. If you look in

Do you mean, I should set up a new target? e.g. i386-pc-tamp? Surely
this should be done for the final compiler that will be used at
application level?

Although, saying that, it would be possible to use this application
level compiler to actually build the OS with as well IIRC.

Thanks,
Luke.