Compatibility with Debian 4.0?

I'm new to newlib and I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting a
working native build on a i686-pc-linux-gnu machine running the
current stable Debian release (4.0).  I'm using gcc 4.1.2 and glibc
2.3.6 with the newlib cvs sources from yesterday.  I'm running
configure with "--with-newlib --enable-newlib-multithread
--disable-multilib".  Is this a known working/not-working setup?

I'm able to configure and build everything without errors (although
there are about 926 warnings); however, my application fails when
it tries to spawn a thread using pthread_create.  I managed to
trace the error back to sysconf(_SC_PAGE_SIZE) returning -1
resulting in __pthread_initialize_manager attempting to malloc a
block of memory with a negative size.  I'm at a loss as to why
sysconf is returning "unsupported" for the page size.

I duplicated all of my steps exactly on an older machine running
Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 (with glibc 2.3.2 and upgraded to gcc
4.2.2) and it seems to work fine.  However, I admit that I did
very minimal testing.

I guess I'm looking for some general advice on how to proceed from
here.  Is it likely to be difficult or impossible to get newlib
working with the newer configuration?  Would I be better off trying
to build a complete tool chain using older versions of glibc and/or
gcc?  What are the latest versions of gcc and glibc that are known
to work with newlib?  Thanks for any suggestions that you may have.

   -Jason