I can't get libgloss build system to agree with me

I have been struggling for hours, but I just can't get the autoconf/automake
build system to work in libgloss, as I need to add my own a new cpu.

Here is a sample run, with an unmodified newlib-1,.17.0 tree:
newlib-1.17.0/libgloss$ aclocal -I ..
newlib-1.17.0/libgloss$ autoconf
configure.in:27: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS
      See the Autoconf documentation.
newlib-1.17.0/libgloss$

What is this? AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS is a system macro.

As this did not work, let's try something else. Now in the libgloss/frv
subdirectory, since I based my new cpu directory in it.

(the newlib tree is reinitialized from tar file)
newlib-1.17.0/libgloss/frv$ aclocal -I ../..
newlib-1.17.0/libgloss/frv$ autoconf
newlib-1.17.0/libgloss/frv$ automake
configure.in:18: required directory ./$libgloss_topdir does not exist
configure.in: no proper invocation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found.
configure.in: You should verify that configure.in invokes AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE,
configure.in: that aclocal.m4 is present in the top-level directory,
configure.in: and that aclocal.m4 was recently regenerated (using aclocal).
configure.in:20: required file `$libgloss_topdir/config.guess' not found
configure.in:20:   `automake --add-missing' can install `config.guess'
configure.in:20: required file `$libgloss_topdir/config.sub' not found
configure.in:20:   `automake --add-missing' can install `config.sub'
configure.in:23: required file `$libgloss_topdir/install-sh' not found
configure.in:23:   `automake --add-missing' can install `install-sh'
automake: no `Makefile.am' found for any configure output
newlib-1.17.0/libgloss/frv$

That did no work either. More confusing error messages.

Ok, the final attempt, let's do it from the base directory.
newlib-1.17.0$ aclocal -I .
configure.ac:26: error: Please use exactly Autoconf 2.59 instead of 2.63.
config/override.m4:24: _GCC_AUTOCONF_VERSION_CHECK is expanded from...
configure.ac:26: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 1
newlib-1.17.0$

No, I don't want to use Autoconf 2.59, since my linux system has, and depends
on autoconf 2.63.  Downgrading is not an option.
This was an impossible road also obviously.

How should I make it work?
I have tried all kinds of variations, but any attempt to regenerate
configure/Makefile gives some kind of error message.

I can build newlib, by jumping directly to the newlib-1.17.0/newlib directory.
Rebuilding with aclocal/autoconf/automake works there, exactly as expected
and without errors.  There I can add  my machine directory to
newlib/libc/machine. It is the base directory and libgloss that does not work
for me. Not for building newlib either.

What to do?

Karolina