Re: long double (was "strtold?")

Schwarz, Konrad wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: newlib-owner@sourceware.org [mailto:newlib-owner@sourceware.org] On Behalf Of Ken Werner
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:05 PM
To: newlib@sourceware.org; Howland Craig D (Craig)
Subject: Re: long double (was "strtold?")

Hi,
What about mapping the long double functions to their counterparts on platforms where a double is as wide as a long double? The attached patch introduces a flag defined in sys/features.h. You mentioned HAVE_LONG_DOUBLE_WIDER but the user may not define this flag. Do you want to generate a header file that exposes this flag? Wouldn't that result in something like config.h to be shipped with newlib or am I missing something?

Hi,

may I suggest deriving the flag (_DOUBLE_EQUALS_LONG_DOUBLE) from macros
defined by <float.h>?

It likely can be done even simpler:

Modern GCC's have internal defines
__SIZEOF_LONG_DOUBLE__
and
__SIZEOF_DOUBLE__

I.e. it's likely possible to apply similar tricks as in newlib's stdint.h.

Ralf