printf too large for my 16 bit address mode

Hi,

I ported newlib to a new 16 bit target.

I encounter a problem.

Size of address is 16 bit. When I compile a program using printf, the
.text section is longer than 0xFFFF, even if the Newlib was compiled
with -Os option.
Then the program cannot be executed.

I wonder if there is any way to build a tiny Newlib which would be
small enough to fit my case. All I need is printf and scanf.

Regards.

Florent