Re: newlib's libc now has dependencies on libm

Richard Earnshaw wrote:
I've just seen a sudden large increase in the number of gcc testsuite
failures for ARM after updating my newlib sources.  It looks like libc
has quietly (probably erroneously) grown a link-time dependency on libm:

libc.a:lib_a-strtod.o:         U __fpclassifyd
libc.a:lib_a-svfprintf.o:         U __fpclassifyd
libc.a:lib_a-svfscanf.o:         U __fpclassifyd
libc.a:lib_a-svfwprintf.o:         U __fpclassifyd
libc.a:lib_a-svfwscanf.o:         U __fpclassifyd
libc.a:lib_a-vfprintf.o:         U __fpclassifyd
libc.a:lib_a-vfscanf.o:         U __fpclassifyd
libc.a:lib_a-vfwprintf.o:         U __fpclassifyd
libc.a:lib_a-vfwscanf.o:         U __fpclassifyd
libc.a:lib_a-wcstod.o:         U __fpclassifyd

libm.a:lib_a-s_fpclassify.o:00000000 T __fpclassifyd

My guess is that this was caused by the following change:

2009-06-16 Craig Howland <howland@LGSInnovations.com>

        * libc/include/math.h:  Simplify fpclassify, isinf, isnan, and signbit
        macros to remove un-necessary extension use.  isinf and isnan also
        changed to use fpclassify.  isfinite macro modified to run faster by
        only calling fpclassify once instead of possibly twice.

Good catch. There are a set of math objs in libc that we copy over in the top-level Makefile.am.
Changing infinity testing to use fpclassify caused the problem. I have added the fpclassify routines to
the MATHOBJS_IN_LIBC list and regenerated Makefile.in.

2009-06-23 Jeff Johnston <jjohnstn@redhat.com>

       * Makefile.am (MATHOBJS_IN_LIBC): Add s_fpclassify and
       sf_fpclassify as these are now used for infinity testing.
       * Makefile.in: Regenerated.