GCC 4.4 and complex functions

Beginning in GCC-4.4, gcc has started using complex floating point
builtins. The catch is that it doesn't actually supply
implementations, but instead relies (or seems to rely) on the libc
implementation to provide them. Newlib, of course, doesn't have these
outside of the linux subtree.

I'm very surprised that gcc characterizes these as builtins but does
not actually supply implementations. That doesn't fit my understanding
of the term "builtin". :-)

In any case, the situation raises three questions:

1. Is there a straightforward way to tell gcc not to do this?

2. The cmath/ functions appear to be present in the current
newlib/linux port. Is there some reason that these were made
linux-specific rather than simply added as a new subdirectory of
newlib/libc/ and incorporated into the library directly? If I take
that on, would a patch be considered?

3. Short of backing down to an older GCC, is there some solution to
all this that I am failing to understand?

Thanks