Re: RTEMS: Add -D_COMPILING_NEWLIB

On Oct 8 17:24, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
Hi,

similar to Cygwin, compiling newlib for RTEMS needs -D_COMPILING_NEWLIB.

BTW: I am wondering if -D_COMPILING_NEWLIB shouldn't be supplied
globally for all targets and not only for RTEMS and Cygwin.

Ralf

2010-10-08 Ralf Cors??pius<ralf.corsepius@rtems.org>

* configure.host: Add -D_COMPILING_NEWLIB to newlib_cflags.

Patch applied. I'm not sure it's a good idea to add -D_COMPILING_NEWLIB to all targets.
Depends on _COMPILING_NEWLIB's semantics.

I don't know how RTEMS handles it,
We are treating it as a newlib-private/internal define which is not supposed to be used outside of newlib to denote the fact "we're inside of newlib" to expose newlib internal parts.

I.e. users are not supposed to use it, it's only legitimate use-case is building newlib itself.

but in Cygwin it's
only used in very special cases in which we have clashes between newlib
and Cygwin definitions (for instance when using _off_t vs. off_t).
Are you sure that all cases in which `#ifdef _COMPILING_NEWLIB' is used
in newlib are also feasible for RTEMS?
We're using #ifdef __rtems__ for rtems-specific parts and would assume all other OSes to also use an OS-specific define for their OS-specific parts.

So yes, in my understanding #ifdef _COMPILING_NEWLIB should be generally valid.

Ralf