Re: Add strings.h

On Dec 8 03:39, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On 12/08/2010 12:13 AM, Jeff Johnston wrote:
On 12/07/2010 05:03 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
On 12/07/2010 10:32 AM, Jeff Johnston wrote:
I suppose that would work as well, although my change is a one-liner.
It's just that I don't have maintainer rights to approve your patch
(although it does look okay to me, modulo the one #if line condition);
so it's now time for Jeff or Corinna to speak up.

Ralf's initial patch has just been applied.

Any objections to pushing this?

I'm fine with it.

Thank you, Jeff, thank you, Eric.

I just applied a patch to strings.h which removes the "#include<locale.h>' and right afterwards it occured to me that I should better have started by discussing it first. Oops.

The idea was this:  locale.h is only included to fetch the type locale_t
for the declaration of the new SUSv4 locale-aware functions
strcasecmp_l/strncasecmp_l.  IMHO it doesn't make sense to pull in
locale.h at this point in time, since locale_t doesn't yet exist, just
as the strcasecmp_l/strncasecmp_l functions.  Since the '#include
<locale.h>' doesn't fulfill it's only sense, it's just useless to
include it.

I hope that makes sense...

I makes sense, in the sense as it is consistent with the direction taken elsewhere. However, I am not sure, I like this direction, because we should be aiming at encouraging folks to implement these missing functions.

Anyway, not much of a reason to fret about, at least not now :)

Ralf