Re: Problem trying to configure / build when using "--program-prefix" option

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Ralf Corsepius
<ralf.corsepius@rtems.org> wrote:
> On 04/19/2011 11:23 AM, David Paterson wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Federico Terraneo<fede.tft@hotmail.it>
>> ?wrote:
>
>> Thanks Federico, that works great :-) ?I'd seen those listed in the
>> configure
>> options so should have given them a try. ?I did expect that setting the
>> prefix
>> would point the configure system at the correct tools though...
>
> --program-prefix is not what you assume it to be ... it is the "prefix"
> which is prepended to cross-tools when a package creates tools
> (application). As newlib is a mere library, it do doesn't build any tools,
> so --program-prefix is not meaningful to newlib.

Yup, I understand that, and it makes more sense when building GCC and
Binutils, but it is listed in the configure options for Newlib so I'd
expect it to
have some effect on what happens during the build.

For consistency, and nice, neat build scripts, it would be ideal to set most
of the same set of options at each build stage (which is pretty much what
I'm doing in fact).

> That said, the toplevel configure script uses the value being passed to
> --target=<TARGET> as "program-prefix" of the toolchain to be used. I.e. if
> you are building for --target=<something>, it expects to find tools named
> "<something>-*" in $PATH.

So would setting the "--target" option be the answer for Newlib?  It makes it
a bit inconsistent when for the other bits of the toolchain build it
specifies the
target architecture, but for Newlib it's the name (or prefix) of the
target tools.

Time for a bit more experimenting I think...

Cheers,

David P.