Re: History of the xscale machine dir?

On 12 October 2011 11:00, Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi David,

Hi Nick,
  Thanks for the reply.

>> ? I was looking at the xscale subdirectory and noticed
>> there were no individual copyrights or attributions on the files;
>> what's the history behind them, who originally wrote them?
>
> I guess that you can blame me. ?It was a long time ago, but I think that
> what actually happened was that someone at Intel asked us (Red Hat) to
> provide some hand written assembler versions of the string and memory
> functions in order to speed up the xscale targeted version of the arm-elf
> toolchain. ?I wrote them and later contributed them to the newlib project,
> but it was very remiss of me not to include copyright notices on the files.
>
> I believe however that it is safe to assume that since I was working for Red
> Hat at the time, the sources are covered by Red Hat's blanket FSF copyright
> assignment.

If you have all the docs to back that all up it would probably
be worth adding the appropriate copyrights and stuff.

>> ? I ask because I have an ARM memset that is comparable to the
>> routines in the xscale dir, except it does quite a bit better on a 4
>> byte alignment;
>
> Please do this.

If 'this' is add my memset, then OK - but I need to do a bit of analysis
and tweaking first.  Mine are better in some places and worse in others
and I'd like to understand the worse spots.

Dave