Re: Initialize data section in arm/crt0.S

I've been through a similar process, in the SPARC(LEON) world, rather
than ARM, and after looking at just about every crt0.s and linker
script in libgloss for inspiration, I eventually settled on having two
different linker scripts, one for RAM builds, and one for PROM.

My crt0 checks the VMA and LMA of the .data segment to decide whether
or not a copy is required.  These will be the same when building for
RAM, but different in a PROM build.  I also use link-time flags to
control other options in the scripts, providing more flexibility for
users.

There isn't (as far as I know) a "reference version" of crt0, or of
linker scripts, but reading through the examples in the various
platform directories should give you ideas of what can be done, and
what's a good idea to include (or omit).

Regards,

David P.