RE: FW: checking whether <arm-none-eabi-gcc accepts> -g... <no>

Hello Sebastian and Freddie,

 thanks for your suggestions. I have moved to linux (ubuntu 10.x) and compiled newlib 2.1.0 successfully. My cross compiler is again the same as before as I am recompiling newlib for that particular compiler revision... The linux version of the compiler is this one: https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/4.7/4.7-2014-q2-update/+download/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2014q2-20140408-linux.tar.bz2 .

Configure throws exactly the same error on Linux as it threw before on Windows and all the compiled libg.a files are 0 bytes in size for all target combinations. So now that Windows and MSYS are out of the picture, do you have another idea on what could be wrong? Based on what I have seen, again the compiler invoked in the test actually compiles the conftest.c file successfully and returns without errors.

Failing configure tests from the linux build session:

configure:3449: checking whether arm-none-eabi-gcc  -mthumb -march=armv7-m accepts -g
configure:3469: arm-none-eabi-gcc  -mthumb -march=armv7-m -c -g  conftest.c >&5
configure:3469: $? = 0
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "newlib"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "newlib"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "2.1.0"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "newlib 2.1.0"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE_URL ""
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:3484: arm-none-eabi-gcc  -mthumb -march=armv7-m -c   conftest.c >&5
configure:3484: $? = 0
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "newlib"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "newlib"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "2.1.0"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "newlib 2.1.0"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE_URL ""
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:3500: arm-none-eabi-gcc  -mthumb -march=armv7-m -c -g  conftest.c >&5
configure:3500: $? = 0
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "newlib"