RE: Mutex implementation questions

You are correct... critical sections are almost 100 times faster than
actual kernel based mutexes... however...

1) Mutexes (i.e. kernel based) are useful in that you can support a
   lock-with-timeout... a feature that is being pondered as an upgrade
   to pthreads.
2) Mutexes can use WaitForMultipleObjects (sp?) which allows you to simulate
   a cancel by waiting on a cancel event as well as the mutex.
3) TryEnterCriticalSection is not supported on Win95/98 (originally it was
   completely left out... then they added a stub that simply returns
   "function not supported", thus there is no way to implement
   pthread_mutex_trylock; hence if you need "trylock" you need to use a
   real mutex.
3) By eliminating the DllMain, whose purpose was to perform
   behind the scenes cleanup of the "self" structure as well as calling
   all the destructors for thread-specific data keys, what alternate
   approach did you take for doing this thread-based cleanup?
   (i.e. I leveraged the fact that DllMain is called each time a thread
         is started/finished to perform thread based initialization/cleanup)

I hope this clears up some of your questions.

Cheers,

John.