C++ typedef problem(?)

I recently had an occasion to use:

#include pthread.h
list<pthread_mutex_t *> x;

Where the list datatype comes from LEDA, which supposedly supports almost
anything as a type for the list class.

I got a syntax error from MSVC++ 5.0 saying that pthread_mutex_t_ (note the
ending "_") was an undefined type. I found a typedef for it in
implementation.h, so I included it too and the error went away. I am using a
pretty old version of the library (1999) because it has been very stable.

The questions are:
1. why didn't pthread.h include the implementation.h file itself?
2. will doing this cause me any other problems?

regards,
D. J. Foreman
website: http://WWW.CS.Binghamton.EDU/~foreman