Re: What's the suggested way to build pthreads?

I haven't tried the latest version at http://www.mingw.org/
but that is probably the place to start. The site looks
relatively new. Like you, I've found locating Mingw32
packages difficult in the past.

I'm still using the older version of Mingw.

I don't know, in particular, whether Thomas Pfaff's
instructions in the pthreads-win32 FAQ are needed with newer
versions of mingw to get multi-threaded exception handling
working. This is only required if you use mingw to build
versions of pthreads-win32 that use C++ exception handling
internally (it's used in thread cancelation but is not strictly
necessary). You can build a standard C version of the library
that only uses setjmp/longjmp in thread cancelation and exit
(thanks again to Thomas).

Cygwin has been adding it's own pthreads support but I don't
know exactly where they are up to. I know that people are
running the pthreads-win32 test suite against cygwin, but
again, I don't know what the failure rate is.

Ross

--
| Ross Johnson            |   | "Come down off the cross
| Management & Technology |___|  We can use the wood" - Tom Waits
| Building 11                 |
| University of Canberra      | eMail: rpj@ise.canberra.edu.au
| ACT    2601                 | WWW:
http://public.ise.canberra.edu.au/~rpj/