Re: changing pthreads-win32 license - Practical Comment

While working as a consultant a couple of years ago, I suggested using the phreads-win32 library as part of a cross-platform (*nix/Windows) product. We moved ahead with pthreads-win32 on Windows and POSIX pthreads on *nix. Unfortunately when legal reviewed the licenses, the "new, improved" LGPL version had been released. Legal refused to approve the product with the LGPL code and the WIN32 version was dropped (as was my contract about 2 months later - I took major heat for the call to use an LGPL lib).

If the intent is to offer pthreads-win32 for commercial use, the LGPL is not an acceptable risk in certain commercial enterprises.

Just thought I'd add a practical comment to the licensing discussion.

Best Regards,

James Ewing