RE: pthread_cancel and pthread_mutex_lock

Rian,

Have you worked out your problem?  It looks like no-one else has answered
you.

I'd recommend you get the book "Programming with POSIX Threads" by Butenhof.
Also have a look at http://www.unix-systems.org/single_unix_specification/
for the pthread function specifications

A locked mutex should not act as a cancellation point.
I don't use and have not tried PTHREAD_CANCEL_ASYNCHRONOUS.  I use
PTHREAD_CANCEL_DEFERRED.
A mutex should be locked and then unlocked in the same thread normally.  I'm
not sure what PTHREAD_CANCEL_ASYNCHRONOUS should do.
I know that the pthreadsWin32 works fine for PTHREAD_CANCEL_DEFERRED.

If a thread locks a mutex and then calls a cancellation point the thread
should have a pthread_cancel_push() function to push a cancellation routine
onto the cancellation cleanup stack and the cancellation routine should
unlock the mutex.

Simon