From: pthreads-win32-owner@sourceware.org
[mailto:pthreads-win32-owner@sourceware.org] On Behalf Of Ross Johnson
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:28 PM
To: John E. Bossom
Cc: pthreads-win32@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: sigaction & pthread_sigmask

The timers code is from the GNU C library, which the comments
in the included header file says is LGPL, so it would be ok to use.

However, if the contributors to pthreads-win32 were to agree
in future to change to a license other than the LGPL or GPL
then this code would need to be completely removed or replaced.

Regards.
Ross

John E. Bossom wrote:

> Your contribution has comments that it is licensed under the GNU
> Public License. This, if included in pthreads-win32, would
upsurp the
> LGPL license designation of pthreads-win32 and thus prevent
commercial
> use of pthreads-win32 (something LGPL permits provided it
is used as a
> shared library - use of the static library renders the license GPL,
> though) Are you the original author of this code? Would you
consider
> changing the license? Have you already published the package as GPL?
>
> Ross, comments?
>
> Cheers,
> John.
>
> Quoting "Burkhardt, Glenn" <Glenn.Burkhardt@goodrich.com>:
>
>> I think so.  Semaphores might seem out of scope, but they're an
>> integral part of concurrent programming.  Signals need to
be thread
>> smart, so they're naturally part of a thread implementation.
>> So are timers - attached is a pthreads compatible version of Posix
>> timers, but it's lacking the function of sending a signal
to a thread
>> when a timer has expired.

sigprocmask,
>>> pthread_sigmask patch? Or are signals strictly outside
the scope of
>>> the project?
>>>
>>> I'm working on sigaction and sigwait
implementations--using atomic
>>> CAS operations for async-safety--intended for a portable kqueue
>>> library. But the library depends on
>>> pthreads-w32 anyhow, and it would be cleaner to simply
patch upstream.