Re: problem with Configuring a Connection to a Database using VisualExplain

Thanks for the response. I just want to report these observations in case
someone experience the same connection failure.

Here's the environment where the said behavior of pgaccess and Visual
Explain in my last posting were observed:
(note:  same applies with *local* commented out in pg_hba.conf)

in postgresql.conf, we have:
#       Connection Parameters
#
#tcpip_socket = false
tcpip_socket = true
#ssl = false
ssl = true

#max_connections = 32

#port = 5432
#hostname_lookup = false
#show_source_port = false

#unix_socket_directory = ''
#unix_socket_group = ''
#unix_socket_permissions = 0777

in pg_hba.conf, we have:
# host
# ----
#
# This record identifies networked hosts that are permitted to connect
# via IP connections.
#
# Format:
#
#   host  DBNAME  IP_ADDRESS  ADDRESS_MASK  AUTH_TYPE  [AUTH_ARGUMENT]
#...
#local  all                                     md5
host    all     127.0.0.1     255.255.255.255   md5

> And were you connecting from the same machine?
The Visual Explain (and pgaccess) client is running in the same machine as
the postmaster server. I assumed tcpip sockets, rather than unix sockets,
would be used when configured as above.

> This uses Unix sockets, so it is no good for comparison.

Does this mean Unix Sockets were used even when 'Host' is explicitly
specified in Visual Explain -> configure ..., and when no local connection
is configured in pg_hba.conf?

I am also under the impression that pgaccess uses tpcip connection when a
host is explicitly specified (left non-blank) during a connection request.
Visual Explain and pgaccess are reading the exact same configuration
files, and using the exact same connection parameters:
	Database:
	Host:
	Port:
	User Name: