rhug status

I did some hacking on http://sources.redhat.com/rhug this weekend.

* The most exciting thing was getting output from Tomcat.  This is a big
program that excercises a lot of code, including xerces.  It appears to serve
up static pages ok.  Attempting to run a servlet from a .class file results in
a NullPointerException from
javax.servlet.GenericServlet.log(java.lang.String) -- although it kindly
reports this in a nice web page and continues running. It looks like it's
creating the appropriate log files, but never writes anything to them.  For
the Red Hat guys, I've left the server up tonight at
http://fencer.cygnus.com:8080/examples.

* Switched to automake 1.5.

* I spend a fair bit of time hacking on the gnu.regexp configury, trying to
figure out the best way to build, and install the .so, .jar, headers, etc.
There's a primitive "make check" as well.

* I added some of the Xerces sample programs to check_PROGRAMS, and they run
fine by hand.  Getting them to run with "make check" is next.

* Xalan builds and says semi-intelligent stuff now.  It builds two command
line programs (xsltc and xsltp).

The "gcj -R" patches I submitted this weekend are used throughout the tree.
Tomcat also requires the iso8859_1 runtime patch.

There are about 12 Makefile.in files adding up to almost 6MB!  The largest,
rhug/xalan/Makefile.in, is about 1.9MB.

It would be great to get some help.  Just check it out and try building...

Thanks!

AG