Re: tomcat 4 jsp compilation status?

I've had some trouble building tomcat, in that it states..
/upstream/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler/JspUtil.java:79: Class or
interf
ace `javax.xml.parsers.ParserConfigurationException' not found in import.
   import javax.xml.parsers.ParserConfigurationException;
          ^
./upstream/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler/JspUtil.java:155: Type
`Document
BuilderFactory' not found in the declaration of the local variable
`docFactory'.
            DocumentBuilderFactory docFactory = DocumentBuilderFactory.
               ^
./upstream/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler/JspUtil.java:159: Type
`Document
Builder' not found in the declaration of the local variable `builder'.
            DocumentBuilder builder = docFactory.newDocumentBuilder();
               ^
./upstream/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler/JspUtil.java:171: Type
`ParserCo
nfigurationException' not found in the declaration of the local variable
`ex'.
        } catch( ParserConfigurationException ex ) {
                    ^
4 errors
make: ***
[upstream/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler/BaseJspListener.lo] Err
or 1

now i thought jaxp was a part of gcj, but just to be safe i tried
compiling xalan and got the following error

gcj3 -C --encoding=8859_1
--classpath=upstream/src:./../xerces/upstream/src:./..
/BCEL/upstream:./../cup/upstream:./../gnu.regexp/upstream/src:./upstream/src
-O2
 -d upstream/src
upstream/src/org/apache/xml/dtm/ref/CoroutineSAXFilterTest.java
upstream/src/org/apache/xml/dtm/ref/CoroutineSAXFilterTest.java:67: Type
`org.ap
ache.xml.serialize.XMLSerializer' not found in the declaration of the
local vari
able `trace'.
       org.apache.xml.serialize.XMLSerializer trace;
       ^
1 error
make: ***
[upstream/src/org/apache/xml/dtm/ref/CoroutineSAXFilterTest.class] Err
or 1

I just want to get things working before i mess with them, any ideas as
to what the problem is?