Re: LinuxDoc DTD on NT

El mié, 02 de feb de 2000, a las 12:08:18 -0500, Marty Connor dijo:
> On 2/2/2000 4:40 AM Peter Ring PRI@cddk.dk wrote:
> >don't blame the list for bigotry from individual members
>
> I understand the point you are making, and I must say, as a mostly silent
> participant of this list, and as a contributing member of a number of
> other open-source project lists, this list in general has been a
> relatively cold, unfriendly place.

Cold as in an empty place, yes; but cold and unfriendly... well, no, I
don't think so.  Since the project is at a stand there seems to be not
much to discuss here.

> There are indeed helpful and kind people on this list. There are also
> (IMHO) needlessly abrasive people who seem to take pleasure in keeping
> others out, and slapping people down, when a gentle push or a helping
> hand would do better.

Sadly, as in everywhere in life.  There's the kind of people who remind
me of the army, and who think that a new comer to an specific subject
equals an ignorant (while, in these cases, it's usually all the way
round).  They can't see that today's freshman may be tomorrow's expert,
probably due to the fact that they were once freshmen but never got to
be experts.

> My point is that for an open-source project to prosper there needs to be
> a sense of safety for new people, since only a small fraction of them
> will decide to contribute in the best of cases.

Then, perhaps giving the fundamentalists|veterans a bit of their own
medicine would help.  They should understand that other OS's users are
not guilty of whatever they may think makes it evil, but rather victims
of it.  Or, they just don't feel like/want/... to bother with something
they may not have time for.  Or... any other reason, whichever, but
always right as they have, above all, a RIGHT TO CHOOSE, ie. FREEDOM.

> Peter, I understand how you feel.

Yes, my sympathies too.

Regards,

--
Horacio					Anno MMDCCLIII ad Urbe condita
homega@ciberia.es			Valencia - ESPAÑA