RE: function-exit probes += ppc64

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 09:15, Chen, Brad wrote:
> Can somebody in the know comment on the use of tail call
> removal and inlining in the kernel? Is it common or rare?
> If it is common, this approach won't work very well. It
> will certainly tend to become more common if kernel builds
> get more and more optimized over time.

I don't think this is just a function-return issue.  My understanding is
that if a function return gets eliminated by tail-recursion-optimization
or inlining, then the function call will be eliminated as well.
Counter-examples are welcome.

I can imagine that there are certain functions where the number of calls
doesn't match the number of returns (e.g., related to fork, exec,
exit).  We'd definitely need to be aware of those.

> Are there any analogs to setjmp/longjmp or exception
> handling that we would have to deal with? These use
> the return address in user level code but maybe they
> aren't problems in the kernel.
>
> On missed kprobes (1.6.3) seems one useful option would
> be to printk the first instance, and then printk a summary
> when the probe is deregistered.

Yeah, something like that.  Maybe also report the 10th, 100th, and
1000th miss as well.  Maybe count "hits" as well as misses, too, to
report upon deregistration.