Re: Some notes on translation

Tom Zanussi wrote:
  > In my experience DWARF2 is not as easy to use as it should be.

That's also what I've heard - all the more reason to start now. This could be a tiny first step toward the much-desired dwarf2 library.

As Frank mentioned, libelf already has a DWARF library: libdw. This is not the same as SGI's library. The latter is unusable since the memory handling cannot be done without leaking.

The header for libdw is not yet installed since I didn't want to expose
the interface until this is needed.  I can do this anytime, though.  And
as far as higher-level functionality which is needed: just let me know
what is needed.  Describe the problems to solve and I can add
appropriate functionality to the library.

I'm
not sure why we'd want to use /proc in place of netlink in any case -
also I thought putting new stuff in /proc was discouraged anyway.

/proc seems like the wrong place for many things. But there are a number of other filesystems available. There are special filesystems for high-bandwidth kernel<->userland transfer etc. And it is not hard to write a new filesystem.

The problem with netlink is that the messages which can be read
atomically are limited in size and they are broadcasted.  The latter
would basically mean no sensitive data can be transfered (unlikely) or
the system is unsafe the second you start using this functionality.

--
â Ulrich Drepper â Red Hat, Inc. â 444 Castro St â Mountain View, CA â