Re: file io script example

Hi -

jamesd wrote:

> [...]
> My point was, if i was in a prodution environment, i think it would be
> a good thing to forbid guru mode for scripts that monitor the system.
> So if you have to use guru mode to get the content of basic structures
> there isn't much point to systemtap as a production ready tool.

We agree.  What you see now are first examples of realistic
monitoring, using whatever libraries and mechanisms are available and
working *today*.  It is not "production ready" in the sense of being
easy to use by novices.  The next major point of emphasis will be the
development of script libraries ("tapsets") that will form a higher
level interface layer, and hide many of the now functional lower-level
facilities.

> [...]  Shouldn't systemtap be able to handle all of the standard
> include files in /usr/include and the includes in a 2.6.x kernel so
> users can monitor the system? [...]

The debugging information associated with the kernel (and in the
future, user-land applications) contains a form of that information.
We already expose it to some extent, and will probably do so more as
we gain experience.  It is unlikely for systemtap to ever have to
directly parse C files such as kernel headers.