Re: probe alias (tapset) question

Kevin Stafford <kevinrs@us.ibm.com> writes:

> I am doing some work on defining system call probe aliases which might
> be useful to a SystemTap end user.

Excellent.  You might as well take over bug #907 for this purpose.

> [root@localhost]# cat /usr/local/share/systemtap/tapset/ts_send*
> # ts_sendmsg.stp
> probe kernel.syscall.sendmsg =
>         kernel.function("sys_sendmsg")
>         {
> [...]

Excellent, just what I had in mind.

> # ts_send.stp
> probe kernel.syscall.send =
> [...]

There is normally no need to put system call aliases into separate
.stp source files.  You could start building up a single
"src/tapset/syscalls.stp" file right in CVS.

> [...]
> Works great, however what if a user wants to use more than a single tapset:
> [root@localhost]# stap -ve 'probe kernel.syscall.send*{ }'
> [...]
> Or maybe they even want to use all of the system call tapsets:
> [root@localhost tapsets]# stap -ve 'probe kernel.syscall.*{ }'
> [...]

Wildcard matching on probe point component names is not yet
implemented, but was anticipated.  Now that a real usage scenario
is imminent, I'll get started on that.