Re: R.F.C. Should we abandon User-land probes?

On 20 Oct 2005 14:53:14 -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler <fche@redhat.com> wrote:
[snip]

> Do you mean you want to build complex structures in your script?  If
> so, what does this have to do with probing that targets kernel vs user
> space?  Or else are you under the impression that systemtap can't
> know/expose such structured data types present in the probed target
> software?  Perhaps you need to pay more attention to the project
> instead of chicken-little editorializing.

No I want to access components of complex structures that are pasted
to user land functions. Rarely do complex userland apps just use  int,
long, and char *'s. This is especially the case with C++ that pass
class structures. Yes you can make this work in gurumode, but as i
said this disables all the saftety measures systemtap programmers have
worked on.

James