01-26-2006 meeting minutes

Attendees:
IBM - Jim, Hien, Tom, Prasanna, Vara
Redhat - Will, Martin, Elena, Frank
Hitachi - Satoshi
Intel - Josh, Anil

LMKL Watch -
Will sent email regarding LKML watch before the meeting. Some action items need to be done to get the community involvement such as
1. More distros support
2. Replying to the LKML and offering help
The problem is no one has enough bandwidth to do any meaningful investigation and reply to the LKML while the issue still hot.
Will suggested that we send out email to the systemtap list right away, when we see the opportunity. And create a summary at the end of the week.
Intel will monitor the list next week.

elfuitls licensing -
Elena: no new news.

OLS - Systemtap tutorial -
Elena - Redhat does not have the bandwidth to organize or take a lead on the systemtap tutorial for OLS. That means it is up to Vara (IBM) to take a lead on this (writing a proposal, create tutorial/demo materials).
Elena also said the the decision now goes to Frank, Will and Martin.
Frank suggested to use QME or vmware image for the systemtap tutorial.
Frank suggested that give systemtap tutorial/demo in on of the BOF.
There is no closure on this topic. Am I right ????

User space probes-
Prasanna received comments from a few folks and going to post an update next week.
Prasanna - regarding iflush_cache function - does it flush all CPUs?
Anil - does this implementation is the only way to implement user space probes? Can we use other approaches?
Elena said she could invite Andrew to the next week meeting to discuss user space probes, she could also invite Roland.
Jim suggested folks to post alternative approaches for user space probes to the list before the meeting next week.

Kprobe and Xen -
Elena - we could start the discussion on the mailing list.
Will to post and some links regarding Xen and kprobes.

System calls tapset -
Martin will check in some new code for system calls tapset and suggested that we need to worry about documentation. But first we need to know the document format.
Hien will work with Martin on the system calls tapset.

kprobes back port-
Anill will take on the task to back port any new kprobes code to RHEL4 U4, and check in (i386, ia64, x86_64) patches to CVS. IBM will take on ppc64 back port patches for ppc64.

kprobe-booster -
Hitachi folks will go ahead post kprobe-booster patch to LKML and cc Andrew Morton, systemtap. Patches should be for v2.6.16-rc1.

Binary trace inf -
Continue to discuss on the list.

Rentrancy bug - bz 2071
Anil needs more test/debug to figure out what really going on with x86_64, and emt64. This does not effect other archs.