Re: user kprobes vs debuggers

I honestly think the simplest and only possible general solution is not to
allow or support a probe to be placed on any pre-existing breakpoint.

The problem we have in general is that we cannot say what the expected
outcome of a breakpoint should be.

In some cases it will be to terminate the program i.e. exit to system.
In others it will be to enter a debugger with the option of resuming at the
same or some other point or indeed exiting.
In the case of a probepoint, which is more than a mere breakpoint, the
processing is complex and automated.

Concerns about who handles the debug exception (IA32) apply also to who
handles or intercepts any exception generated by a given instruction.

To support multiple uses of a breakpoint we would need to establish a
protocol that all users would adhere to and a set of APIs to support all
users and multiple concurrent users of APIs. Unless someone can point to a
real need to multi-user breakpoints I suggest we shelve this with the
caveat that probes placed on breakpoints and breakpoints placed on probes
are not supported. We can protect ourself from trouble by putting a test in
kprobes (1) on probe insertion to make sure that we don't install a probe
on a breakpoint and possibly (2) at single-step to make sure that we don't
SS a breakpoint. ptrace should probably make a similar test on breakpoint
insertion.

- -
Richard J Moore
IBM Advanced Linux Response Team - Linux Technology Centre
MOBEX: 264807; Mobile (+44) (0)7739-875237
Office: (+44) (0)1962-817072