03-09-2006 meeting minutes

Attendees

IBM - Hien, Tom, Maneesh, Ananth, Prasanna, Vara
Redhat - Will, Martin, Elena, Frank
Intel - Josh, Anil
Hitachi - Satoshi

LKML Watch - Redhat turn this week

elfutils - No new news.

Conference call topic -
Ananth suggested that kprobes discusssion starts 8:30 am Pacific time then systemtap discussion follows after that. The call information will be the same. We are going to confirm this with Jim.

systemtap's ggc warning -
Ananth raised the issue of systemtap using -Wno-unsed. Martin said this issue will be fixed or Frank may aready fixed it.

Binary Tracing -
There were some ideas/works floating around the mailing list. After getting review and a nod from everyone, Martin will put them together (in the runtime?)

OLS paper -
Thanks to Frank, the systemtap tutorial is fantastic. Prasanna indicates that some OLS papers are now in CVS (which CVS? Prasanna, please clarify) . Ananth mentioned that he wants to use Frank's tutorial in a conference in India (conference name?)

Kprobes -
Satoshi will port kprobes booster to x86_64 and ia64 but he/Hitachi does not have the expertise to port it to ppc64. Ananth will look in to this, but it is not a trivial task.

Fault handling patch - Prasanna asked for help in testing the patch on ppc64. Hien will do that asap.

Vara/Prasanna will update the kprobes todo list.
Ananth indicated that user space probes is not ready for LKML, we need to resolve some issues, Richard had some ideas to address those issues. Ananth and Prasanna will discuss that off line with Richard.

Ananth had problem compiling systemtap script on ppc64 (failed at stage 4). The problem could be the new systemcalls tapset. Hien will look into this problem.

kprobes tests, everyone should check in their test cases.

Misc -
Will will get together with Vara on oprofile topic.
Vara indicated that we should worry about the plan for systemtap to get to "Production Ready".
Elena may not be able to attend the meeting at 8:30 Pacific time.
Vara will look into kprobes support in Xen. Will said if we have kprobes working on the virtualization kernel, get probably get 90% of systemtap features.
kernel-debuginfo - Elena asked Intel, Hitachi and IBM to file Issue Tracker on this issue.
Martin will check in some nice examples, Vara suggested that we should a have a webpage for all the scripts examples (and a very obvious link to that web page from the main page)