Re: thoughts about exception-handling requirements for kprobes

anil.s.keshavamurthy wrote:

> [...]  Yes, by fixing up the exceptions(fixup_exception() call) you
> are avoiding falling back to do_page_fault(), but the
> copy_from_user() which generated the exception will fail and we can
> not 100% reliably support copy from user from pre/post handlers even
> for valid address.  [...]

I think that's an acceptable trade-off.  It may be possible to let a
systemtap user bias the system for success by arranging to page-in or
even "mlock" selected processes.

> Do we know how reliable is Dtrace in this respect?

IIRC the documentation says that user data that is paged out at the moment
of a probe will cause an error if accessed.  If so, we're "tied".