Re: Proposed systemtap access to perfmon hardware

maynardj wrote:

> [...]

Several aspects of the script interface to the performance counters
was changed later in this thread: please check that too.

> >The performance monitoring events are specified in strings. The
> >information at the very least include the event name being monitored
> [...]
> Should the event name be the native event name for the arch?  Or some
> generic name that is mapped to a native name by some mechanism?  Or
> either (as in PAPI)?

It may be sufficient to use systemtap's general abstraction mechanisms
to map between generic and native event names, in much the same way as
the system-call tapset defines generic names ("syscall.read") in terms
of native functions ("kernel.function(...)").  This aliasing widget
may need some extension in order to deal with parameters or partial
matches; we'll know after someone constructs an informal
generic<->native event name dictionary.