Re: get the mapping of <key, syscallname>

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

Hi -

> Why not use the "name" variable set by the syscalls tapset?

LKET does not currently use the syscall tapset because it doesnt use the extra information that this tapset collects from each systemcall. [...]

But, due to the optimization pass in the translator, only that portion
of the information actually *used* by your script is actually
collected. Please try it out (check out stap -p2 or -p3 output to
confirm).

I seem to remember that there was another reason why Li Guanglei did not use the systemcall tapset but I cant remember why. If the performance is good, then adding the systemcall id number variable will solve this problem. We'll, try it out.

[...]  Its not just the string printing that's costly, its also
searching the system call name with in CONTEXT->probe_point.  [...]

Rolling your own code to manually scan through "probe_point" is not
really necessary or appropriate. There is a "probefunc()" function
you can use for now.

I agree. Thats why I would like to see LKET as part of the SystemTap tapset in order to have more people reviewing some of the stupid design decisions we make. :)

- FChE

-JRS