Re: Systemtap newb having trouble getting it to work

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 11:28 -0500, Tony wrote:
> Eugene (or any others who are willing to help me),
>
> First off, like to thank you for taking the time to help me.  Now I
> know what I need to do (get the version numbers the same).
>
> However, I checked the link you gave to the mirror, and couldn't find
> kernel-debuginfo-2.6.16-1.2122.  I couldn't even find anything 2.6.16*
> that I could download.  I've been having this trouble for a while, and
> I can't even find this version number on the internet anywhere.
>
> In addition, after removing the kernel devel rpm and then typing "yum
> install kernel-devel" - the default install version number that yum
> wants to install is consistently 2.6.17-1.2174 _FC5, and I can't
> figure out how to tell yum to chill out and just install a smaller
> version (2.6.16-1.2122).
>
> Let me know if you have any ideas on how to get these versions to
> match.  If worse comes to worst, then I can always upgrade the kernel
> to versions of devel and debuginfo that I CAN actually find on the
> internet but.....I have never done this before and am not sure how to
> go about it.  If it sounds like upgrading the kernel is the only way,
> do you know of an easy way to get instructions on how to do this task
> successful?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> --Tony

Here's how to get the correct kernel-devel:

# yum kernel-devel-2.6.16-1.2122

Now, because that kernel is a bit old, yum may have trouble finding it.
If so, your easiest bet it to upgrade your kernel.

So, then your next problem is installing the kernel debug info rpms.
The problem here is that by default the debuginfo repo is disabled.
That's why yum can't find the packages you are looking for.

You've got 2 choices:

- to temporarily enable them, do this:

# yum --enablerepo=core-debuginfo \
 --enablerepo=updates-debuginfo install kernel-debuginfo

If you aren't using the latest kernel you'll need to put a version
number at the end of kernel-debuginfo.

- to enable them permanently, edit the following 2 files:

/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-core.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo

In both, change 'enabled' to 1 under the 'debuginfo' section.

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com