Re: djprobes status

Hi Ingo,

I have been thinking how I implement djprobes on your advice.
And I have found some difficulties on some plans.

Before my explanation, I would like to introduce a couple of
rules that djprobes must follow.

(1) On out of line execution of probed code, registers and
    stack must be the same state that is probed,
    because probed code may touch the stack or registers.
    This include flag registers, so we cannot prevent
    interruption at least during the out of line execution.
    (Or we have to add other restrictions on djprobes users
     such as "don't probe the code that touch stack")

(2) Probes may nest, which means that another probe may
    be hit during interruption or exception handling.

And I explain what prevent me.

Plan A: push $target_IP; ret
        (or push flag;push $target_IP;iret) method

Djprobes must have multiple probe points and support
multi processor environment. They have to follow rule(2).
So $target_IP must be like $target_IP[$cpuid][$depth_of_nest],
and preempted processes may move to another processor.
It is hard to fixup after out of line execution started.

Plan B: inserting pushfd+cli+jmp+popfd

If we mask interruptions on probe, we have to unmask it
during out of line execution to follow rule(1). And we
have the same problem on plan A again.

Now we have 3 options left.

Plan C: fixup preempted address in the task_struct

Plan D: making safety check on preempted address
        in the task_struct

Plan E: freeze_processes()/thow_processes()

I realize that Plan C&D is highly archtecture dependent
and Intel CPU's erratta may bring another problem.
And someone pointed me out that current djprobes
implementation is very hard to port to some other
architectures.

So We would like to try Plan E first. The code will be
simpler and mainly architecture independent.

After that, we can try to introduce current djprobes
implementation if performance optimization is required.

Anyway, thank you for your advice and appreciate your
comment.

Satoshi